Thursday, November 10, 2016

To the End of Love


I was fortunate enough to discover Leonard Cohen's music early enough. Many people were introduced to Leonard's music through the film Natural Born killers. Years after that his music has been played in excess on most soundtracks. However the true Leonard Cohen is far more then merely a soundtrack artist. He began as a prolific poet with layers of symbolism and meaning. He eventually moved  into the world of music. For those who aren't familiar with his work, start with songs of love and hate and dive deep into his avalanche of symbolism. I was fortunate enough to see him play for four hours at red rocks. He has lived a very satisfying life and he played every night of his recent tour to the fullest. With time he's been winding down and welcoming the concept of death. 
This death is the only death which I'm not entirely sad about. I feel satisfied that Leonard got his wish. He waited to die until he could tour a few times, and release a few more albums before peacefully fading away. He said he was ready to die, and death was finally ready for him. Take this waltz and forever sing in the tower of song. 


I'm leaving the table
I'm out of the game
I don't know the people
In your picture frame
If I ever loved you, oh no, no
It's a crying shame
If I ever loved you
If I knew your name

You don't need a lawyer
I'm not making a claim
You don't need to surrender
I'm not taking aim
I don't need a lover, no, no, no
The wretched beast is tame
I don't need a lover
So blow out the flame

There's nobody missing
There is no reward
Little by little
We're cutting the cord
We're spending the treasure, oh no, no
That love cannot afford
I know you can feel it
The sweetness restored

I don't need a reason
For what I became
I've got these excuses
They're tired and they're lame
I don't need a pardon, no no, no no, no
There's no one left to blame
I'm leaving the table
I'm out of the game
I'm leaving the table
I'm out of the game

Leaving The Table
-Leonard Cohen 




No comments:

Post a Comment