Friday, May 15, 2015

Lets talk about Nonsense




Recently Pitchfork music ran an article about how music is essentially worthless these days, with digital distribution and piracy at an all time high. What better time to start a record label? But seriously, Why am I doing this? Back when I did N3RD NIGHT, I knew that there were a lot of people who has art or music to share but needed a venue to put it out. N3RD NIGHT was created out of those desires. Even though I've been making various other projects here and there, there was still a desire for N3RD NIGHT.  Well, I couldn't possibly do the same thing again, times have changed so much. When N3RD NIGHT first came along there was nothing like it, now theres a lot like it. From the ashes of N3RD NIGHT and the desire for the event, I assembled a compilation album. While I was doing that I was trying to make new things as well. I was running into the same issues that a lot of the artists who preformed at N3RD NIGHT ran into. An over saturation of media, which results in the damn near impossibility of getting your stuff into the hands of someone who would want it. At it's heart N3RD NIGHT was less about being an event night and more about being a hub for various forms of art. Thus Nonsense Collective was born. NC is a hub much like how N3RD NIGHT was but without the restraints of a venue. Now why did I pick this name? Well in this modern day and age the desire to be an "artist" is downright nonsensical. As Oscar Wilde put it, "All art is quite useless". Most artists know this fully and they might have a day job that pays terribly, but somehow they keep their dreams alive amidst a society that says they shouldn't.  As for the "collective" part of the name. I wanted the label to sound less formal and corporate and more like a super hero organization. To be honest even if you don't think so, if you manage to keep your dreams alive within this cynical society, then then you are in fact a hero. You're inspiring someone to keep those dreams alive. Nonsense collective won't be defined by genre or medium. Eventually I would like NC to be a full entertainment company, movie, music games, etc. You have to start small take a small step and take a chance. I was extremely hesitant to do this, but I had some fantastic support from my first artist who encouraged me to do go for it. All of the artists on the comp seemed to be ok with it as well. I put it out there and the response seemed ok, but I was still hesitant. R3troGrl then turned to me and said, "you can't expect success over night".  All the support was what I needed to give this a shot. From now on myk media things will be available through NC. It will slowly expand but slowly. You can expect great things from nonsense. 

"I like Nonsense, It wakes up the brain cells."
-Dr. Suess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment