Tuesday, October 11, 2016

My confession on national coming out day...


It's national coming out day...I support gay and transgendered people even though I'm straight. My coming out comes in the form of confessing that I have NLD. NLD is nonverbal learning disorder, this is a condition which is actually on the autistic spectrum. My whole life I have been viewed as odd or strange or out of the norm. My whole life I was ridiculed for my quirks, I am lucky enough to have found a wife who appreciates me for who I am. If you ever noticed that I was quirky, odd, strange, or downright flakey there's a reason for it. Many people haven't had the patience for my quirks but It's liberating to know that it's not entirely my fault. I try to use it as a motivating factor to try to succeed and exceed expectations. The symptoms of NLD include but are not limited to:
  • Great vocabulary and verbal expression 
  • Excellent memory skills 
  • Attention to detail, but misses the big picture 
  • Trouble understanding reading 
  • Difficulty with math, especially word problems 
  • Poor abstract reasoning 
  • Physically awkward; poor coordination 
  • Messy and laborious handwriting 
  • Concrete thinking; taking things very literally 
  • Trouble with nonverbal communication, like body language, facial expression and tone of voice 
  • Poor social skills; difficulty making and keeping friends 
  • Fear of new situations 
  • Trouble adjusting to changes 
  • May be very naïve and lack common sense 
  • Anxiety, depression, low self-esteem
If you think you don't fit in or no one understands you, it may not be your fault, don't feel discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment