Monday, March 30, 2020

That Escalated Quickly.




I was preparing for my vacation trip with my family. The trip was dependant upon if my mother in law was going to Miami. It was waiting patiently while my wife was on the phone, only to realize that it appeared as though the trip she was planning to Miami wasn't happening. Instead, we were planning to go to Blue Ridge Georgia. I was so incredibly excited to go on this trip, it was our honeymoon when we went there last. It was a wonderful time when I learned to detach from social media and enjoy the moment. I was planning to do the same again and reset my perspective and remember how to enjoy the moment. I booked our hotel, five nights right in Blue Ridge. My wife still had some time before she could go back to work and I actually had spring break time. This was going to be a family vacation again for once. I packed everything up and our plan was going to be after my daughter's trike-a-thon we would finish up to get ready. My mom called me up and told me that the trip would be a massive mistake. I'm sure she was overreacting.  The next day came and it was my daughter's trike-a-thon, when it was over, we took her home early so we could prepare for the trip. Everything was ready. Toys in the car, snacks packed, a trip was before us. Our trip was like any other trip, I was in the back seat with my daughter playing toys with her while my wife drove. We made it into Georgia later in the day and we checked in. This is when we decided to go to Pizza hut to eat. Inside it was incredibly empty but it didn't discourage it yet, but it did feel odd. We went back to the hotel to hang out and chill for the rest of the night. The next day we went to waffle house and it had even fewer people inside, a father was eating with his daughter and they were using plastic utensils and plates. It all felt odd but it didn't stop our plans. We took a trip up to my wife's aunt house. While there she had the news on about the spreading pandemic. I looked up our destinations for the week they were all closed indefinitely, now it was started to sink in. My in-laws decided to leave a few days early and we made the choice to head off to Cleveland Georgia to go to Babyland like originally intended. While we embarked toward Babyland we discovered that our daughters had their schools shut down for the time being. Before baby land, we went to Helen Georgia it was all open but there were strange restrictions on the places, people had to be separated and no more than ten people.  We found out that Babyland was closed so we looked around Helen and then found a hotel. Near our hotel restaurants were open but only through the drive-through. People were wearing gloves everywhere. After a day in Helen and spending the night in the hotel we drove back home but we left normal far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment